Children and students in New Mexico who are deaf/hard of hearing will become lifelong learners and contributing, well-rounded successful individuals in an increasingly global society.
The mission of the New Mexico School for the Deaf (NMSD), New Mexico’s first public school, is to provide for the unique needs of children and students who are deaf/hard of hearing, their families, and professional partners by providing a comprehensive array of school and statewide programs.
As a school, NMSD provides an American Sign Language and English bilingual learning environment that includes direct, ongoing access to language and communication in and out of the classroom with a wide range of peers and adults. The students are interactive learners who receive dynamic high quality standards-based instruction in a variety of curricular and extra-curricular activities.
As a statewide service agency, NMSD collaborates with families, school districts, agencies and communities throughout the state to meet the critical language, communication, and learning needs of children and students in New Mexico who are deaf/hard of hearing, birth through high school.
In an environment of respect, trust, and safety, we believe in…
• viewing people who are deaf/hard of hearing from a cultural and linguistic perspective
• having high expectations that positively affect self-esteem, identity and whole person development
• providing early, ongoing, and fluid access to communication through natural language models
• developing proficiency in American Sign Language and English which is critical for fluent communication, literacy and academic achievement
• providing high quality early intervention and involvement services designed to help families give their children the earliest possible on-going opportunities for language, learning and meaningful relationships
• fostering strong partnerships with families through learning and social opportunities
• identifying each student’s unique strengths and using them as the foundation for learning and development
• supporting the development of auditory skills and spoken language as appropriate to the strengths and needs of the individual child/student
• ensuring the child/student is a consistent and active participant in planned and incidental
learning experiences in and out of the classroom
• embracing ethnic, linguistic, and cultural diversity
• developing competence in the use of advanced technology
• having high quality and committed staff who possess and maintain expertise in their respective area
• supporting all students in the pursuit of their personal and professional aspirations
Vision, Mission & Beliefs Statement
Revised February 2013
Click here for PDF of NMSD Vision, Mission & Beliefs Statements