Preschools and Kindergartens
At the New Mexico School for the Deaf, children experience a stimulating and language and communication-rich learning environment.
As they play, grow and learn, all children are supported and embraced for their unique characteristics and home languages.
NMSD's preschools and kindergartens are places where hands and voices are used to assure that all students have full access to the wide array of information they need to develop to their potential - cognitively, socially, linguistically and emotionally.
Services are individually tailored through the state and federally regulated Individual Educational Program (IEP) or Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP), in conjunction with each student's home school district to meet each child's strengths and needs.
New Mexico School for the Deaf preschools and kindergarten programs are in Albuquerque within easy access of I-25, in Farmington at the Farmington Special Preschool, in Las Cruces at Mesilla Elementary School and in Santa Fe on the main NMSD campus.
Fun • Learning • Caring • Community
Any child, age 18 months through kindergarten, who resides in or near Albuquerque, Farmington, Las Cruces or Santa Fe and has a diagnosed hearing loss can be considered for enrollment. Services are offered at no cost to families.
Educational Team Members
At the New Mexico School for the Deaf preschools and kindergartens, we are proud to offer a caring, nurturing, highly skilled, and professional staff.
Team members include, but are not limited to:
- Teachers of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Deaf Role Models and ASL Specialists
- Speech-Language Therapists
- Educational Audiologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Curriculum Specialists
Special Program Features
- Families as partners
- State accreditation
- Nationally recognized educational best practice for young children
- On-site audiological services
- Mapping for cochlear implants
- Comprehensive developmental evaluations
- Spanish-speaking staff
- Multiple cooperative agreements with public schools and state agencies to share resources
- Service coordination for children below 3 years of age
- On-site child care in Santa Fe
- Integrated programs for Deaf and Hearing children
- Professional staff members who are licensed and certified in their fields
Scott Mohan, Principal of Early Childhood Programs in Albuquerque, Farmington, Las Cruces & Santa Fe
(505) 476-6418 (Voice)
(800) 841-6699 (v/tty)